Here’s a story about the future
- Technology is increasingly empowering the individual.
- 30 or so years out, some Columbine Killers wannabes will be able to use a virus or dirty bomb.
- The only real solution is the surveillance state.
- There won’t be good individual counter-measures: trying to block surveillance will only make you stand out.
- One path to that solution is panic and partial collapse of our democratic standards similar to the dynamic of post-9/11 legislation.
- It would be nice to do better than that.